At Leicester BRC we are committed to working with all the experts, and the patient is the most important expert of all! A large group of local people interested in our work help us plan and deliver our research with insight into the experience of living with illness.
Working with Us
There are lots of things you can do to help us with research, beyond taking part in research. Activities include:
- Focus groups about planned research
- Panels that meet regularly to help manage research
- Filling out surveys or questionnaires
- Helping us at public events like fetes
- Working on a research project as a researcher
- Representing patients and the public at committee meetings
- Acting as a link between a group and the BRC e.g. the Diabetes UK Group you attend
There are several groups of volunteers, roughly divided into the following areas of interest:
- Heart health
- Lung health
- Type 2 diabetes
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- At risk of diabetes or pre-diabetes
- Diet, lifestyle and physical activity
If you join a list, you get invited to upcoming activities and it’s entirely up to you if you take part or not. Expenses and refreshments are usually available and sometimes there is a payment for helping out.
Our Public and Patient Involvement strategy is available here: PPI_Strategy_BRC_2017_2022_v1
If you think you’d like to get involved, contact the Public Involvement Manager, Becky Pritchard, on 0116 258 8686 or email Rebecca.email@example.com
Working with Groups and Events
If you are looking for a speaker or someone to attend an event please contact Becky on the details above and we will do our best to help.