Our lifestyle facilities are split over two sites: we are located at Loughborough University and Leicester General Hospital.
Our Leicester General Hospital base is in the Leicester Diabetes Centre (LDC). The LDC is a clinical facility co-located with the Diabetes Clinical Service. The LDC has in excess of 6000m2 of clinical research space accommodating our multidisciplinary clinical research team.
LDC provides access to:
- State-of-the-art clinical experimental medicine infrastructure
- Research laboratories including biopsy rooms, clinical assessment suites, exercise laboratories.
- Microvascular Imaging Suite
- Biomarker discovery and analysis laboratory
- DXA Machine
- Indirect calorimetery
Our Loughborough University base is in the National Centre for Sport and Exercise Medicine (NCSEM). The NCSEM facility is part of the 2012 Olympic legacy funded by the Department of Health (£10M) and Loughborough University (£7.5M).
Loughborough University provides access to:
- State-of-the-art experimental medicine infrastructure, ranging from cellular and molecular biology to whole human physiology
- 1000m2 of research laboratories, including biopsy rooms, clinical spaces, a functional analysis rehabilitation laboratory, exercise physiology labs, whole body and wheelchair ergometry facilities at the NCSEM
- An additional 3,200m2 in the School of Sports Exercise and Health Sciences, consisting of 16 teaching and 58 research laboratories
- Dietary analysis software
- Physical activity and cardio-respiratory fitness assessment ergometers and devices
- Dedicated wet laboratories
- Environmental chambers
- Standard biochemistry equipment, including HPLC, ELISA plate readers, automated spectrophotometric analysis, FACs analysers and chip array for the measurement of cytokines
- Key links with bioengineers engaged in developing new in-vitro test systems, devices and blood assay techniques
- DXA machines
- 3T MR imaging and musculoskeletal and cardiac ultrasound equipment